CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 20, 2010

Ben Turns FIVE!

As you can see, he's thrilled about it;)

Once more with feeling! Even if the feeling is "annoyed".

*******************************************************
Ben's morning started off with presents, naturally. If the presents(a bag of mini Airheads, a toy robot arm and a water bottle/snack bowl combo) look random, it's because I frantically scoured Target for some cheapy crap to wrap for him once it dawned on me that he'd be disappointed to not have anything to tear open when he woke up. See, we bought him a new bike and planned to let him pick out his own helmet and a toy later in the evening. It didn't occur to us that Ben might not like that idea until it was almost too late! Thankfully, I found some things he'd like and he was mega-excited to find gifts waiting for him.


We like to carry on a fun tradition my old friend Katie's family has and buy the other kids a little "Un-Birthday" present to open once their sibling has gotten their gifts. The first time Katie's family gave me an "Un-Birthday" gift, it totally delighted me and I promised my future children I'd do the same for them=) You can see that Emily likes this idea, too!

*************************************************************
While Emily and I were at preschool, Mimi brought Ben some doughnuts and his birthday presents. My quirky little guy. His most desired presents this year were SO funny. He desperately wanted a Touch 'N Brush automatic tooth-paste dispenser, the Lysol Hands-Free Soap system and a temperature gauge. So, that's what Mimi gave him. I guess personal hygiene becomes very important once you're five?


**********************************************************
The cake I made Ben turned out misshapen so I decided to let him decorate it himself. He's also of the "More is More" school of thought and doused that baby in every sprinkle and colored sugar available.

Ladies and gentlemen....I present you with Diabetes On A Platter
It was delicious, never the less!

*********************************************************
After we finished sugar-coating his cake, we set out for Benny's Day Of Fun! It involved miniature golf, visiting my grandparents(where Ben was very Verruca Salt about getting clothes instead of toys. Oy.), a trip to Toys R Us and dinner at Chili's. It was an exhausting Day of Fun! but he loved it=)
Callie, not so much.

Here is Emmie standing in front of her dream house;)

The most handsome 5 year old on the planet!



***************************************************************
Dinner was early, fast and blessedly uneventful! We learned the hard way that Ben does NOT like to be sung to, so we didn't even risk it this time. We just enjoyed a delicious dinner as a family and went home for his final surprise and cake.



*****************************************************
Ben LOVES his new bike! He picked it out himself a few weeks ago but forgot about it until his birthday. He was so excited to finally get it and we've been having tons of fun going for bike rides=) He even lets Emily have a turn sometimes.



************************************************************
We sang Happy Birthday and my once-tiny baby blew out all his candles in one shot:( I can't believe how fast these last 5 years have gone. He is such a special little person and I feel so lucky to be his mother. He has completely redefined the way I experience everything. Love, happiness, hopefulness, fear, worry. Becoming his mommy redefined me as a person and I'll always be thankful for that=) I wish I could do it all over again. If the end result was always Ben, I'd do it in a heartbeat.


He ALWAYS makes a goofy face now when I ask to take his picture=) I guess after 5 years with the camera in his mug, he's getting bored.

I just get better at catching the candid shots;)Bigger and bigger every day:(

0 comments: