CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Emily, The Softie Snatcher


This grayish, pink rosebud bedecked scrap of material is known as Softie(aka Softie Pants). It is Ben's beloved Lovie/Transitional Object/Woobie/insert your own name here____. He can often be found with it slung around his neck or with it balled up into a pillow while sleeping. It is a pair of my pj bottoms that he discovered as a baby and has yet to part with. He will HATE this about himself when he is a teenager, but I think it's so funny and sweet! Anyway, long description short--he is very emotionally invested in these pants.

Emily, it would seem, is not one for Lovies. She has a blanket I always keep in her crib, a few stuffed animals she likes, but none are really THE lovie. I thought I was lucking out; but my children have found yet another way to throw me for a loop. It appears that Emily is also quite fond of Softie, much to Ben's dismay. Any chance she gets, she will swoop in and snatch it for herself. Once Ben realizes she has it, he screams at her, she screams back and then a toddler-version of Tug-o-war ensues. This usually ends up with hitting, recriminations in babynese and bitter tears.

Why can't she just pick her own thing?! Oy. Now, some have suggested that I cut it in half--but I worry too much that this will somehow diminish Softies awesome powers to soothe. Or that Ben will get mad that I altered it, or that he'll just have two halves to lord over her from now on. So, I'll just have to keep trying to find The One for Milly, while trying to protect Softie from her clutches. Sigh. No one ever said motherhood was easy.

0 comments: