CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Reluctant Mickey Mouse

As I've mentioned, Ben is going through a fiercely independent streak in regards to his clothes. He likes to be in charge of what he wears all the time now. I just knew if we spent more than $10 on a costume for him, he'd refuse to wear it, but I was hopefully optimistic when he told me he wanted to be Mickey Mouse for Halloween. Worried they'd be all sold out in stores(like they are online), I placed a winning bid of $25 for a MM costume. Yay!

First problem to arise happened when I discovered they had TONS of MM costumes in Ben's size at the store and all were marked down to $9.99:( That should have been my first clue as to how the costume would go over. When given the ultimatum yesterday morning that he MUST wear a costume to go to the trick-or-treating event, he point-blank refused to wear it. I gave him two other choices--last years costume or his jack-o-lantern costume. Still, he refused. Sometimes parents have to force their children to do things for their own good. I knew he'd love the event, so I forced the costume onto him and spent the next half-an-hour cheerfully ignoring the tantrum that ensued. He screamed, he cried, he tried taking off himself. He pleaded, "help me!! Take it off! I can't wear this!!!!". But, a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do. Free candy was at stake!

Little by little, Ben started to come around. First, he stopped crying. Then he started enjoying the other children in their costumes. Next, he got a bag of popcorn all to himself. People started smiling and saying, "Hi Mickey Mouse! Look at Mickey!". Finally, we went to the first store to get our candy. Ben was confused at first. Were we shopping? Why were they giving us candy?! It only took a moment, but it finally clicked. Trick-or-treating is FUN! You wear costumes! People smile and pay attention to you! YOU GET FREE CANDY!!!!!!! There was not a single tear after that. He willingly trotted along from store to store, played on the playground and happily went home to eat his stash. Now he can't wait for Friday night. We have plans to go to a party at his beloved Piper's house and to trick-or-treat with her afterwards. Free candy and his lady-love? What could be better?!



"TAKE IT OFF!!!!"


"You are the meanest mommy ever!"


Ben, starting to notice the other children walking around.


"Hey! There's candy in here!"
Also, this was a totally random shot, but check out Mickey AND Minnie in this photo!
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: