CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Little People(GRRRR)

Little People, for the uninitiated, are short, stout, hard plastic characters that come in various play sets for toddlers. The sets range from elaborate to paired-down but all make some sort of annoying sound and/or play a stupid song you can't get out of your head. They typically come with too many accessories that don't attach to the sets and therefor get lost easily. Ben received his first LP set on for his first Christmas, but didn't get to play with it til after his first birthday(I follow the age suggestions to a T). Ever since opening up that first set(a zoo play set that played all the animal sounds when you placed the animals in their habitat), I have loathed Little People and all they encompass. If I had it my way, my children would never play with these things; meaning I'd never have to hurt myself stepping on the people, wake the babies up by accidentally setting off one of the sets(that DON'T come with off-switches most of the time!) nor would I lose the vital accessories or people that make the sets fun.

The latter predicament is my current #1 reason for hating Little People. As you saw in an older post, Ben received a little house. He loves it. He plays with it several times a day and I love that. It totally sparks his imagination and it's so fun to listen to him play with it. My one caveat is that he wants the Mommy, Daddy AND Baby with the set at all times and we almost never have all the people at once. I've solved this for now by telling him, "Oh, the mommy is at work!" or, "The baby is at preschool". Sometimes we have two daddies and one baby. Sometimes we have a single mom living there and often we have a childless couple living with an assortment of matchbox cars, dinosaurs and various animals. We have more than one of each family member, but they're never all at home at once!

As much as I loath these toys, I love them for one very good reason: Ben and Emily love them. We recently added an airplane and school bus to our collection and they couldn't be happier. I guess I just have to find a way to live with these damn toys...I'm too much of a softie to refuse them toys they love to play with!


Milly says, "Little People aren't just fun to play with; they're tasty, too!"


Emily the Stewardess makes sure all passengers are seated comfortably.


Like any good "Stew" she'll switch seats around til everyone is happy.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: